1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
6 ounces baby spinach
1 1/4 cups tomatoes, grape or cherry diced
1 (3 ounce link) Chorizo chicken sausage diced, or vegetarian chorizo sausage, see note
8 large eggs
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped + 4 sprigs for garnish
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder, depending on your spice meter
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons salsa
1 1/2 cups whole grain sorghum, cooked (1/2 cup dry whole grain sorghum)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded Mexican blend, or jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a medium size, oven-safe saute pan* warm olive oil and add onions. Saute for about 4 minutes. Then add jalapeno peppers and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add the chopped chorizo link and saute, then add tomatoes and saute for a few minutes. Add the spinach, stir, then cover for a minute or two. Stir well.
4. In a small bowl add 2 tablespoons of salsa to the cooked sorghum.
5. In a medium bowl crack 8 eggs and combine well. Add chopped cilantro, chili powder, sea salt, black pepper and sorghum mixture. Mix well. Add the egg mixture to the saute pan.
6. Use a rubber spatula to even things out in the saute pan, letting the eggs fill the gaps and settle to the bottom of the pan. Add shredded cheese of your choice on top. Use a thin, flat metal spatula to go around the edge of the pan before placing it in the oven.
7. If using an oven-safe skillet, simply add it to a 350°F oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until eggs are set. Then switch the oven to broil and broil for approximately 2 minutes until browned on top.
8. Cut in 4 and serve with a sprig of cilantro. Serve with salsa or hot sauce.
Nutrient Analysis: 1/4 frittata
435 calories, 20 grams total fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 410 milligrams cholesterol, 445 milligrams sodium, 30 grams carbohydrate, 6.5 grams fiber, 4.5 grams sugar, 25 grams protein.